Streetsmart insurance Blog
Your home is usually where you feel safe but when it comes to your baby, it could present a lot of hazards. Make sure to baby-proof your home to prevent or minimize accidents. These ten helpful tips can save you a trip to the emergency room.
1. Child-proof your furniture and appliances.Secure your television, drawers, bookshelves, fridge, oven, and other heavy pieces of furniture with straps or latches in case your baby tries to climb or open them. Put foam protectors on furniture edges or corners. If possible, avoid using sharp-edged or breakable furniture, like glass tables.
2. The toilet bowl or bathtub can be very attractive to a child To prevent any mishaps, always keep toilet lids shut and ensure the bathtub and faucet are inaccessible. Never leave your child unattended especially when bathing in a bathtub. Test the water temperature first, to prevent scalding.
3. Keep all sharp objects, medicines, out of reach of your baby Check all toys for any small parts that may detach and pose a choking hazard.
4. Keep window blind cords and power cords secure and out of reach Use child-safety outlet covers to prevent electric shocks.
5. Make sure your changing table has rails or straps to secure your baby. Keep an organizer nearby to ensure everything you need; diapers, wipes, cream etc. are within reach.
6. Make sure your baby's crib has secure railings Use good quality cribs and if they use drop-railings, make sure they are secured properly. Your child's head must not fit into the slats.
7. Use baby gates to keep your child from going to restricted areas Use them on the top and bottom steps of your stairs.
8. Keep your child's crib away from windows Use window guards, if possible.
9. Unplug appliances when not in use and if possible, keep them out of reach.
10. Backyard pools must always be fenced off.
Even with these safety precautions, accidents might still occur. In case something untoward happens to your precious child, health insurance will have your back. At StreetSmart Insurance, we aim to provide comprehensive insurance policies that makes your life easier. You can get more information about our products and services by calling our agency at (732) 462-8343. Get your free quote today by CLICKING HERE.